Friday, January 17, 2014

Style DIY: Glitter Pantyhose/Tights!

Found on Pinterest

I have had these glitter pantyhose on my Pinterest for a LONG time. I had to, had to, have them for New Years this year! They got SO much attention I had to make a Style DIY tutorial for the Glitter Tights/Hose I made and wore for New Years 2014! 

So I looked around, and found this tutorial from Moustachic (click to see her post):

She claims that she had a lot of fall out from her glitter, and it wasn't quite the look I was going for, so I decided to put my own twist on it! First off, I wanted black tights. So, I found some inspirational pics via Pinterest:

Also, I wanted glitter and CRYSTALS, like the first inspirational pic, to ensure lots of variety and glam. And rather than one tone, I wanted multicolor crystals. So here's what I bought:
  • Mostly opaque black tights (Any kind you like)
  • Loose Glitter (I got mine from Sally's Beauty Supply long ago in a Shaker called "Sally Girl *Sparkle Effects* in Sliver and Iridescent White)
  • Swarovski Elements Flat Back Iridescent Crystals (Color: "Crystal AB" from Hobby Lobby) in 10SS and 16SS
  • Any multipurpose Spray Adhesive that includes Fabric, Metal, and Plastic in bonding materials (I used Treehouse Studio Spray Adhesive from Hobby Lobby)
  • An Industrial Strength Adhesive in a Tube (some say certain kinds of superglue or caulking tubes work well, but I wanted a strong adhesive that would dry clear! I used the tube labeled E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive from Hobby Lobby in the model section. It's non-flammable and paintable - so I could color over any excess with a sharpie if it didn't dry as clear as I wanted.)
    glittersupplies
That's it! 5 ingredients! And the supplies minus tights cost me less than $10! (These tights are selling on Etsy and Amazon for over $100 and with these supplies you can make any number of pair!) 
So, you will need some other tools as well:
  • A newspaper (or other large surface cover - I used wrapping paper. Teehee!)
  • Tweezers, or I used needle nose pliers
Now we're ready to get started!
Before
So, here's a pro tip: Spray the can off to the side until it sprays as a fine mist...I did not do this the first time and ended up with silly string-like globs of glue on my hose! Save your hose! Don't do this!

After figuring that out, the results are much better!
This is what I did:
  1. I laid out the hose, and removed as many wrinkles as I could to ensure an even coating.
  2. I kept the spray can in one hand, and the glitter shaker in the other. I sprayed the adhesive, letting the mist fall on the hose, then immediately lightly tapped the glitter shaker, holding it about a foot and a half above the hose. This ensures a more even application. The closer you get, the more it looks like a "galaxy" pattern.
  3. I sprayed another mist over top of the glitter to help avoid fall out.
  4. You can repeat layers of glitter to get a more even covering. I wouldn't do more than 3 layers of glue though, you don't want glue build up to dull your hose.
  5. After each layer, stick your hand inside to separate the legs all the way to the feet.
  6. Let the glitter base layer dry, then go ahead, without glue, and set your crystals on your hose in a random or a stylized pattern, like clusters, stars or starbursts. I went with a random all over pattern to stick with the inspirational image's look.
  7. So, using your tube adhesive, pick up a crystal with your tweezers, apply a small dab of glue on the back and place carefully. Make sure to lift the hose and keep the back side separate so you don't glue your tights together! 
Here is the final look compared to the inspirational looks:





Even in the dark, the crystals showed up beautifully in pics, and my tights look a little grey, but you couldn't tell at all in person. I guess the flash caught lint. I was even more impressed after I friggin' WASHED them and the Glitter AND Crystals are still in place! 

I got A LOT of compliments and everyone was asking where I got them and how much they were. Pretty awesome that my answer was "I made them myself!" 
I wore these with a black fit and flare dress that had a sheer paneled top, and black booties, but you could wear them with pretty much anything because they are black and the sparkles are multicolor/iridescent!

Thanks for visiting The Day to Day Details!

No comments:

Post a Comment